In 1888, a handful of hard working German Lutheran immigrants decided there was a need for a Lutheran place of worship in Chicago’s South Side Grand Crossing area. This name developed from its location near the heavy industrial area and because of the hazardous crossing intersection of 75th Street, Woodlawn and South Chicago Avenues and a network of railroads.
In September of 1888, under the direction of Rev. Carl Eissfeldt, three plots of land were purchased at 76th Street and what was then Madison Avenue – which is now Dorchester Avenue. This is where the congregation dedicated the small house of worship on the second Sunday of Advent, December 9, 1888. In 1890, Rev. August Frederking accepted the call to become the pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church where he remained for nearly 40 years.
St. Paul Lutheran Church has always been in the midst of progressive positive change. Six years after the first church was built, a larger church was erected to meet the needs of the congregation. In July of 1980, the new expanded church was built and remains today where it offers many ministries that serves its close knit community and neighborhood.